- Travel while sleeping
- Safely and efficiently to the most beautiful destinations
- Reserved seats, couchettes or sleepers
- Travelling during the night = win a day compared to travelling by car
- From 14 December 2020 direct train from Amsterdam to Innsbruck via München or Vienna via Linz
ÖBB NightjetTraveling to southern Germany or Austria? Save valuable time and avoid expensive hotels. Depart from Amsterdam towards Berlin or Düsseldorf in the early evening and switch over to a new night train of the Austrian Railway Company: the ÖBB Nightjet. In the morning, you will arrive at your destination fit and well rested.
As of 14 December 2020, the night train will run directly from Amsterdam to Vienna, Munich and Innsbruck!
Online bookingYou can now buy tickets with a travel date up to 12 December 2020. On 13 December, the new annual schedule will enter into force, the new schedule is not all available yet.
More information about the new timetable 2020/2021.
You can book the night train to Munich / Innsbruck or Vienna in 2 parts:
- A ticket from the nearest station to Düsseldorf or to another Nightjet station (from Groningen for example, this is the route via Hannover). You can find these stations if you view the route details in the booking module under 'Show route'.
- A ticket from Düsseldorf or from the other Nightjet station to your Nightjet destination. Nightjet destinations include: Munich, Kufstein, Wörgl, Jenbach, Innsbruck, Wels and Vienna
If you are traveling even further than those destinations, you can book an extra ticket online, in a separate booking.
This also applies if you are travelling with other Nightjet trains (for example, to Zurich): book the trip in several steps. Book a ticket to the Nightjet departure station, book the Nightjet and book any additional journey separately.
Find train tickets
TravelAfter departing from Amsterdam at 18.38 with ICE International, you will catch the ÖBB Nightjet in Dusseldorf at 20.54 hrs. This night train travels via Munich and Kufstein to Innsbruck, another part of the train travels via Passau and Linz to Vienna.
On Mondays and Thursdays from 20 January to 2 July and from 31 August to 10 December 2020, the night train runs from Brussels via Munich to Innsbruck or via Linz to Vienna. The return trips are on Sundays and Wednesdays.
Please check the itinerary planner for more information
Tip: when changing trains at Düsseldorf Hbf, you will need to go from platform 16 to platform 20. You have 8 minutes to change trains. You could also take an earlier train at 16.38 hrs and arrive in Dusseldorf at 18.46 hrs. This will give you enough time to grab a bite to eat in the city. You can leave your luggage in a locker at the station. Travelling first class with ICE International? Then you are welcome to wait for your train in the DB Lounge (with the exception of Supersparpreis Europa and Sparpreis Europa fares).
Mandatory reservationIt is mandatory to reserve a place on the ÖBB Nightjet in the type of accommodation you wish to have. Make sure you are at your reserved place within 15 minutes prior to departure. If you are not in your reserved place 15 minutes after the train leave you may forfeit your place.
With ÖBB Nightjet to ViennaThe night train to Vienna runs from Dusseldorf and Berlin.
Departure from Amsterdam with ICE International is at 18.37 hrs (or optionally 16.35 hrs) and at 20.54 hrs you can switch trains in Dusseldorf and catch the ÖBB Nightjet. This train departs from platform 20.
Train section 40421 runs to Vienna via, among others, Passau and Linz, and arrives at 8.19 hrs.
The ÖBB Nightjet runs via Poland to Vienna.
Munich - Innsbruck
With ÖBB Nightjet to Munich and InnsbruckThe night train to Vienna runs from Dusseldorf. Departure from Amsterdam with ICE International is at 18.37 hrs (or optionally 16.35 hrs) and at 20.54 hrs you can switch trains in Dusseldorf and catch the ÖBB Nightjet. This train departs at from platform 20.
Train section 421 runs to Innsbruck (arrival at 9.14 hrs) via, among others, Munich (arrival at 7.05 hrs), Kufstein (arrival at 8.25 hrs) and Wörgl (arrival at 8.36 hrs).
Types of accommodation ÖBB Nightjet
On board of ÖBB Nightjet, you have a choice of seating, lying or sleeping accommodation. There are sleeping carriage with sleepers for a 1, 2 or 3-person compartments, couchettes for 4 or 6 persons and seating compartments with 6 seats. In each category you can either choose to share your compartment with other travellers or have your private one.
- There are 1, 2 or 3 persons compartments available.
- Beds are provided with linen (pillow and blanket) and there is a washbasin that is stocked with towels and toiletries.
- A Deluxe sleeping compartment has its own bathroom equipped with washbasin, shower and toilet and is stocked with towels and shower gel.
- If you book a single bed in a 2 or 3 persons’ compartment, you will share a compartment with other passengers (men and woman separate).
- You will receive a welcome package which includes an aperitif, a snack and a bottle of mineral water. In the evening you may select an elaborate breakfast which will be served in your compartment at a your own chosen time.
- Compartments available for 4 or 6 persons.
- Every couchette has a blanket, a sheet and a pillow. Toilet and washing facilities are located outside the compartment in the carriage.
- Your stay includes mineral water and a small breakfast. Drinks and snacks are available for purchases and will be served in your room.
- When booking, you can indicate a preference for a bottom, middle or top bunk.
- These compartments are meant for groups, families or price-conscientious travellers. There are special compartments for women and,- wheelchair-bound travellers. Also available are private compartments for 1-6 persons (1-3 adults, max. 5 children up to 14 years) at a fixed rate incl breakfast – very interesting for families, small groups or senior citizens (as they can spend the night comfortably on 2 beds side by side).More information on this is available on NS International Service Center: 030-2300023
- Every 2nd class department has 6 seats
- Toilet and washing facilities are located in the carriage
- Drinks and snacks are available for purchase with a member of staff in the couchettes and sleeping carriages
- There are private compartments available, bookable for 1-3 persons (1-3 adults, max. 2 children up to 14 years).
Ladies only compartments
For female travellers, a reservation can be made in a special women-only compartment. Places in one of the women-only compartments can only be reserved via NS International Service Center or at a NS International service desk in one of the international Ticket & Service offices.
Luggage space is limited on ÖBB Nightjet. It is recommended not to take more than one case and one item of hand luggage per person. You must be able to carry your luggage yourself and place the luggage in the luggage racks and/or above seats and berths. A number of coaches have larger luggage racks at the front.
More information about luggage
Travelling with children
Children aged to 14 years arent't allowed to travel alone but must always be accompanied by an adult.
Information about travelling with children
Bicycles on board
You can’t travel with a bicycle in the nighttrain from Amsterdam to Vienna and Munich and Innsbruck until December 2021. A bicycle (folding or otherwise) can only be taken on board if it is packed in a bicycle case (not a cover) with a maximum size of 85x85 cm.
More information about bikes on the nighttrain
There are electrical outlets next to your chair and in the couchettes and sleeping cars. You can use and charge your electronic devices during your trip.
Catering is available in the in the couchettes and sleeping cars.
Dogs on board
Traveling with dogs is only permitted if you book an entire compartment and if they don't bother other passengers. Also the dogs are on a leash and wearing a muzzle when getting on and off the train. Tickets for large dogs can be purchased from the Train Manager on board.
Virtual tour nightjet sleeping cars / chouchettes
Sleeping cars 2 sleepers
Couchettes 4 seating arrangement
Couchettes 4 sleepers
Couchettes 6 sleepers
- More than thousands of European destinations online
- Dutch and English customer service
- No booking fee online
- Pay online easily and safely
To Vienna by train
The absolute centre of classical music and opera. It's the city main attraction!
To Tyrol by train
A popular destination in both the summer and winter season.