Flexible booking conditions
Together with our partners, we temporarily made the booking conditions more flexible.
|Carrier||Flexible booking conditions||Fares||Booking dates|
|Thalys||Rebooking tickets is free for the Mid-flex fare up to and including the time of departure||Mid-flex||23-6-2020 - 31-8-2020|
|Eurostar||Rebooking tickets is free up to 14 days before departure||All||1-7-2020 - 31-12-2020|
|ICE International/ Intercity Berlin||Rebooking tickets is free for the Mid-flex fare (Sparpreis Europa) up to 1 day before departure||Mid-flex (Sparpreis Europa)||30-6-2020 - 31-08-2020|
|Intercity Brussels||Rebooking tickets is free for the Mid-flex fare (Early Bird) up to 1 day before departure, provided that the new travel date is at least 7 days from the time of change||Mid-flex (Early Bird)||30-6-2020 - 31-08-2020|
NS International advises you to check the current travel advice before booking an international train journey. This can be done via the special page on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Travel advice
Which trains will be running?
On the Travel updates page you can see which international trains will be running.Travel updates
Travel conditions per country
Every passenger who travels with Thalys in Belgium or France, needs to have a face mask to be allowed on board. It is compulsory to cover your nose and mouth (with a face mask or scarf) when travelling with public transport and at stations in France.
Exchange and cancellations
To cancel or exchange your ticket please contact your point of sale. It is not possible to cancel or exchange a ticket online. If you have booked your ticket with NS International, please contact the NS International Service Center: 030-2300023 (local tarif). Tickets can be booked up to four (4) month in advance.
Tickets booked before June 23, 2020?
- If your train runs: It is possible to cancel or change your ticket up to 30 days before your departure date. You do not pay a cancellation fee. For example: if you have a ticket before July 10th, you can cancel or change your ticket until June 10th, after that is not possible anymore.
- If your train is not running: It is possible to cancel or change your ticket to another travel date up to 30 days after departure. You do not pay a cancellation fee.
Tickets booked on or after June 23, 2020?
Cancellation and changes are possible depending on the fare conditions of the ticket. We do not charge a change fee for the Standard and Comfort rates.You only pay the price difference between the old and the new ticket.
Thalys to the South of France/Marseille and Marne/Disney/Charles de Gaulle
Unfortunately, no Thalys will run to the South of France in 2020. You can cancel your ticket. Unfortunately Thalys does not run to Marne/Disney and Charles de Gaulle Airport until December 13, 2020. You can cancel your ticket.
Tickets for travel dates up to 24 June 2020 can be exchanged or canceled before departure of the train. No exchange or cancellation fee will be charged.
Code orange for Antwerp
Due to an outbreak of the coronavirus, code orange applies in the province of Antwerp. This means that you are advised to only travel if absolutely necessary. You are permitted to travel via Antwerp with Intercity Brussels or Thalys when headed south. It is also permitted to change trains in Antwerp when travelling to another region.
Passengers departing from Antwerp are urgently advised by the Dutch central government to go into quarantine for 14 days after arriving in the Netherlands.
For all passengers travelling to Belgium:
- If you are staying in Belgium for more than 48 hours, you must fill in your travel and contact details on an online form (Public Health Passenger Locator Form) before arrival. You can fill in this form from 48 hours before departure.
- It is compulsory for travellers (over 12 years old) on Belgian public transport to cover their nose and mouth. This applies to the bus and train as well as the stations and platforms. Covering them with a face mask is possible, but a scarf, cloth or shirt is also allowed. On board Thalys, every passenger must have a face mask to be permitted on board.
Exchange and cancellations
Tickets for Intercity Brussels to Antwerp or the Antwerp region can be cancelled free of charge until 16 August 2020.
To cancel or exchange, please contact your original point of sale. If you booked your ticket with NS International, please contact the NS International Service Centre: + 31 (0)30 230 0023. You cannot exchange or cancel online.
If you book your journey in the period from June 30th to August 31st with the Early Bird tariff, we offer you extra flexibility. If you unexpectedly need or want to travel on another day, you can change your ticket without a fee. Do note that your new travel date has to be at least 7 days ahead. Any price difference will be settled.
For all passengers to London:
- Provide your journey and contact details by filling in this online form. You will need to show your completed form when you arrive at the UK border, either by printing a copy or showing it on your mobile device. You will not be able to submit the form until 48 hours before you’re due to arrive in the UK.
- Self-isolate for 14 days at the address you have provided on the above form. Please note that this measure applies to all visitors to the United Kingdom who travel via Belgium.
- If you have booked on behalf of other people, you are also responsible for ensuring all members of your party are aware of these requirements and have completed the form. If you are travelling with someone under 18 years old, please click here for additional details.
For all passengers to and from London:
- Every passenger travelling with Eurostar must wear a face mask (homemade, surgical or respiratory) to be allowed on board. To ensure every other seat is left empty, some passengers may find their coach and seat number has changed. Couples or a family will still be able to sit together.
- Eurostar is unable to provide wi-fi on the trains
- Business Premier Lounges in London, Pars and Brussels are closed until further notice
- Eurostar is unable to provide the usual catering services on board and at the stations. No food and drinks are served to Business and Standard Premier customers and the availibility of food and drink at the stations is very limited.
Exchange and cancellations
Did you book a ticket for a journey with Eurostar with a travel date no later than September 30, 2020?
You can change your trip to a new travel date until September 30, 2020. Due to Eurostar's booking horizon, you can plan up to 6 months in advance. If you change at the end of September, you can therefore book a trip up to the end of March 2021. No costs are charged. To change your ticket, please contact your original point of sale.
If you have booked your ticket with NS International, please contact the NS International Service Center: +31(0)30-2300023 (local rate). If changing your trip to a travel date up until March 30, 2021 is not an option for you, please contact your original point of sale. If you have booked your ticket with NS International, please contact the NS International Service Center: 030-2300023 (local rate). We would be happy to discuss the options with you personally.
- Wearing mouth and nose protection (face mask, scarf or cloth) is mandatory if you are travelling in Germany with ICE International and on regional trains and S-bahn. The requirement also applies at stations and platforms.
- In the bistro on board of the ICE trains only "take away" catering is available. It is not served. Payment by credit card is preferred, debit cards are not possible.
Exchange and cancellations
Did you book a ticket for ICE International or Intercity Berlin before 14 March?
Then you can use your ticket flexibly, for a trip up to and including 31 October 2020. You do not have to use the train stated on your ticket: you can also choose another train. It is therefore not necessary to exchange your ticket.
You can also cancel your ticket if you booked a ticket before 14 March, for a trip up to and including 30 June. This is possible up to 2 weeks after your original travel date. Your ticket will be refunded, without cancellation fee.
To exchange or cancel, please contact your original point of sale. If you booked your ticket with NS International, please contact the NS International Service Centre: + 31 (0)30 230 0023. You cannot exchange or cancel online.
Did you book your ticket after the 14th of March? Then the regular conditions for exchanging or cancelling of the tariff booked will apply. You can contact the original point of sales.
If you book your journey in the period from June 30th to August 31st with the Sparpreis Europa tariff (Mid-flex), we offer you extra flexibility. If you unexpectedly need or want to travel on another day, you can change your ticket without a fee. Any price difference will be settled.
Other countries and trains
- Austria - More information
- Denmark - More information
- Italy - More information
- Spain - More information
- Czech Republic - More information
- Switzerland - More information
- Nightjet: Passengers with a ticket for ÖBB Nightjet for a trip with a departure date until June 25, can cancel or exchange it. You can do this at your original point of sale. If you booked your ticket with NS International, please contact the NS International Service Centre: + 31 (0)30 230 0023. You cannot cancel online. Please note that the waiting time is longer than you are accustomed to. We appreciate your understanding in the matter.
Other trains: Have you booked a ticket for a trip up to and including 31 May 2020? Then you can cancel your ticket. This is possible up to 2 weeks after your original travel date. Your ticket will be refunded, without cancellation fee. You cannot cancel online. You can also exchange your ticket and select another travel date, without booking fees. This is also possible up to 2 weeks after your original travel date. For travel from July 1, 2020, the conditions apply depending on the fare of your ticket.
To cancel or exchange, please contact your original point of sale. If you booked your ticket with NS International, please contact the NS International Service Centre: + 31 (0)30 230 0023. You cannot cancel online.